Saturday 13 June 2015

Munich and Salzburg - Can you drive in Germany on the autoban?

My colleague convinced me to drive from Venlo to Munich which is near our Poing factory in Germany.  It is about a 6.5 hour drive, 700 kms.  So, Thursday, May 21st, in the early evening, I drove to Koblenz, a small town in Germany.  It was about 2 hours into the journey and stayed at a small hotel (Hotel Scholtz) in the heart of the city.  Friday morning I drove out towards Munich and it was a great drive.  Yes, I drove the German Autobahn at around 145 kms / hour!  I have to say at first I was intimidated to drive but the German drivers are great.  Yes, the speed is high but they really observe the rules of the road...Left lanes are for passing, slower traffic stays in the right hand lanes and yes, they actually use turn signals.  People are careful and respectful when they drive.  There is no honking horns though they will flash their lights at you if they want to pass and you are in their way.  You have to also check your review mirror a lot more often as someone always wants to go!

After I spent the afternoon working, 3 of my colleagues (Tomasz, Peter, and Robert) took me for an authentic Bavarian dinner.  The restaurant looked like a very rustic home and was comfortable.  It was fabulous and Tomasz took a few photos.   


From left to right - Robert, Peter, and me (of course)
 

I stayed at a local hotel called Stangl which is the usual hotel where Oce employees stay.


Saturday afternoon, I headed south towards Salzburg, Austria.  The weather was overcast and not very good.  It didn't rain but it was gloomy looking.  Once I arrived at the hotel, I did a quick drive into and around Salzburg. 

The fortress above the city of Salzburg


A statue near the Schloss Leopoldskron


Geese on the lake where Schloss Leopoldskron resides


Look familiar?

Think "the hills are alive...."....It's the mansion of the von Trapps in the movie "The Sound of Music"
aka Schloss Leopoldskron

The lake in which the Schloss Leopold resides

Another view of the Fortress



I saw this cool looking home and could not resist taking a photo!

On Sunday, I tried again to take photos in Salzburg but weather was actually worse - raining and foggy.  So I decided to go for a drive out into the countryside and the mountains.  I drove to a small town and lake, Fuschl.  Weather was not much better...

 











Then I drove out to another lake area....Mondsee.




Driving through the hills...did I mention every town has a church at its center?



 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment