Monday 6 April 2015

Windmills, daffodills and porcelain?

I did tons of sightseeing this weekend (made up for the last 2 when I did none...)

It was a beautiful Easter long weekend here.  Saturday morning was really cloudy but the afternoon, all day Sunday and most of Monday made up for it.

I visited Kinderdijk - what is it?  It is a UNESCO world heritage site where there are 19 windmills built around the mid-1700's.  It is a small village with numerous waterways, dikes in Northern Holland between Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  See photos below - and yes, I took my first selfie! 




My little car....

 
Then it was off to Lisse where the bulb fields are starting to pop though I am a little early as the daffodils are the only ones open...


 
 
Then I went to the city of Delft to visit the original home of Royal Delft porcelain, De Porclleyne Fles - imagine it was founded in 1653 (now that is a legacy business).  It is in this factory where every piece of porcelain is made and hand painted blue and white.  It is very expensive in here...so I was careful not to break anything.  I found 2 pieces I really liked and they are tightly packed to send home this summer.  I needed more time in Delft to see the market square, 2 churches and the home of Johan Vemeer.  (I will plan to go again...)
 
 

 
 
 



This was Easter Sunday.  What a great day!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment