Monday 16 February 2015

Valkenburg or bust

Plans change and mine did when I decided not to go to Delft yesterday.  I did more research on the area and found out there are 2 other places to visit relatively close by  and the best time to visit is in early April so I decided to postpone.

Instead I went to a small town called Valkenburg about 75 km south of Venlo.  It has quite a few historical places to see (a tower, ruins, and 2 castles) so I drove south.  For the first time ever, I drove 130 kms / hr!  I could get used to it....Drivers here are not quite as crazy as Vancouver so it is pretty safe though I learned when turning right, you must wait for a green arrow to proceed.  Otherwise hefty traffic ticket.

Given I had extra time on Sunday, I spent part of the afternoon and evening making a more detailed itinerary for the next 4+ months in Europe.  I am looking into various modes of transport to be the most efficient with time - sometimes driving is best, sometimes train travel, then there could be also flying is best as air fare is cheap (from Dusseldorf, Germany (near Venlo) to Siena, Italy costs under 200 euros).  Also, most cities have tours so driving isn't necessary (and safer).  I planned to have the majority of my itinerary completed by end of February so I made a good start.

Yes, I am taking photos though downloading them is proving a challenge. 

Groeten,

Mary

1 comment: